Our thoughts are with the dedicated healthcare professionals and all affected by this virus during the COVID-19 pandemic. See the Ontario Ministry of Health's dedicated website for information:
Fostering Healthy Regulatory Collaboration in Ontario
Quick facts about HPRO members:
- Our members are the 26 regulatory colleges that regulate 29 distinct professions - over 350,000 healthcare professionals in Ontario.
- Their duty is to protect the public, making sure healthcare professionals are safe, ethical, and competent.
- Health regulatory colleges are not educational bodies. Others call similar organizations "licensing boards".
- The Regulated Health Professions Act, 1991 (RHPA) is the legislation that governs Ontario's regulated health professions' Colleges.
- Professions also have their own professional statutes, e.g., Physiotherapy Act, 1991, that lay out additional, individual definitions, scopes of practice, and authorized acts.
- Colleges also need to implement the regulations under those Acts, dealing with areas such as registration, professional misconduct, quality assurance , and more.
- More about how Ontario's health regulatory Colleges care about you